Wednesday, July 25 2018
Duluth is 9.8 square miles in size, and is located 25 miles northeast of Atlanta. Transportation is accessible by Interstate 85, Buford Highway, Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, Georgia Highway 120 and Pleasant Hill Road.
The corporate sector of Duluth welcomes over 1600 businesses to the city, and by all indications, this number is likely to continue in growth.
Duluth is the first city in Georgia to implement multi-material curbside recycling. This program is free to all residents and was recently upgraded to include cardboard recycling and special waste, such as oil and paint.
The tourist attraction is strong in Duluth. The Duluth Historical Society preserves the history of Duluth and maintains the Duluth History. The Southeastern Railway Museum preserves, restores and operates historical railway equipment. The Duluth Fall Festival, held the last weekend in September, offers more than 250 arts and crafts and food booths, and draws crowds greater than 30,000.
Duluth elected the first woman mayor in Georgia, Alice H. Strickland. She lived 1861-1947. She promised to “Clean up Duluth and rid it of demon rum.” Her contributions to the community included opening up her home for kids to have their tonsils removed (there were no hospitals at this time). She also lead the movement to protect forest lands and donated an acre for a community forest. The first in the area. Her home has been designated as a historic location by the Georgia Historical Society.
The Methodist church was the first church to form in Duluth in 1871. The church was formed when a small group of citizens began meeting at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Singleton S. Howell. The first building was constructed in 1873.
The Baptist church was organized in February 1886 and the first building built the same year. In 1907, a second building was built and was destroyed by fire in July 1947. The building was rebuilt in 1948 of brick, rock and Stone Mountain granite. This building was the home of City Hall and the Duluth Police Department. (excerpt from May 26, 1976 newspaper)
Duluth is the fourth oldest chartered City in Gwinnett County. Lawrenceville being the oldest following by Norcross and Buford.
The first school was built in 1870’s where the current Duluth Middle School stands. It was a two-room building that was destroyed by fire in 1925. A new building was completed the following year and was later replaced with the current middle school building. Duluth High School was built in 1958, B.B. Harris Elementary in 1966, and more came later.
The Bank of Duluth was the first bank to organize and open in 1904. It was located in the building currently occupied by Economy Pharmacy in Downtown Duluth. The Farmers and Merchants Bank opened in 1911. Both closed during the Depression. The Bank of Duluth was re-organized in 1945 in the original building.
Gwinnett’s first hospital was built in 1943 in Duluth – Joan Glancy Hospital. Glancy Jones Dunn was the first baby born at Joan Glancy Hospital. The hospital was funded by General A.R. Glancy after the death of Olin Burnett, 6, in 1941. his daughter, a Duluth cow farmer, and employer of the boy’s father, wrote to him about a small clinic to serve the people of Duluth’s medical needs. He sent $500 to get things started and sent $250 every year after. The hospital was named after the General’s daughter, Joan, who died of pneumonia. A video of this history is available at the Duluth Historical Society.